Questions for French Fans about Code Lyoko

Come here to speak about all what you think about Code lyko.

Lyokophile à vie

Message 05 Juin 2005, 04:35

that's so cool! nicolouve's a real lakanal student. it sounds like "open door" is similar to what we call "open houses" here where lots of people can go and visit a school.

i too am curious to know what it all looks like inside!

Accro à Code Lyoko

Message 06 Juin 2005, 18:59

Chauve-Souris a écrit:-
The buildings are pretty old, so I doubt that they have the wide, cheery corridors pictured in CL.
-
Geez, I sure would like to go to one of those open house events! (Except I would cry a lot at the sight of that poor denuded Ile Seguin....) :cry:
-

What is "Ile Seguin"?

Wow, someone actually goes to Lakanal. That's cool.
So, nicolouve sleeps on the inside on the 2nd floor right?

It would be cool if you could ask nicolouve about some of these questions about the Code Lyoko school compared to the Lakanal.

Or translate stuff nicolouve's already posted about it.

Clem that would be very cool to see those picture if you find them.
It would also be very cool to see the outside of Lakanal. The Lakanal homepage has some cool pictures, but it's hard to find them in a sea of links.

Based on the map the back of the school kind of looks like a continuous wall.

Superstar

Message 06 Juin 2005, 19:16

Lyokophile à vie

Message 07 Juin 2005, 05:54

very cool! thanks for the photo links Clem:)
it's a very pretty school from the photos, and they reproduced its likeness well in CL i think.

Batman + Kiwi = Chauve - Souris

Localisation: Le Arizona ou le désert de Lyoko: Ils sont pareils.

Message 07 Juin 2005, 06:12

-
Gee, how disillusioning. All that "good ol' fashioned stonework" is really just a veneer of imitation stones cemented on. Is nothing sacred???
-
Anyhoo, I hope we can get some interior photos out of nico!
-

Accro à Code Lyoko

Message 07 Juin 2005, 16:48

Thank you Clem. That's really cool. ^_^

It's just cool to see that. The picture of the back of the school might be extremely helpful if I ever get around to making a new fan fic that I've been thinking about.

Chauve-Souris you mean the stonework in the "Yuna_-_Entree_des_eleves_Lakanal.JPG" picture?

You may be right about it being a veneer, but maybe the wall is made of Limestone?
Limestone is chemically reactive. It can break down easily. If it wasn't properly taken care of.

In spite of that photo of the disrepair Lakanal looks beautiful.

I've always been impressed by the backgrounds of Code Lyoko, but what they base them on is impressive too.

Démolisseur de Mégatanks

Message 16 Juin 2005, 03:36

I took a look at the pictures. The peeling stone reminds me of some of the real old churches back east, like in New York or Massachusetts.

Accro à Code Lyoko

Message 02 Juil 2005, 19:39

I was wondering, do the French fans have any questions for the English fans?

Grand Maître du lancer d'éventail

Message 03 Juil 2005, 10:35

A little one: isn't it strange for you to have a character named Odd? Is anyone else called like this?

Démolisseur de Mégatanks

Message 03 Juil 2005, 19:30

Yeah, Odd is a name you don't hear in the states. While it is a real name, as we've discussed before, (Odd), it doesn't show up in the first 1,219 most common male first names according to the 1990 US Census. (1990 Census Name Files)

Message 03 Juil 2005, 19:53

So Odd is a Norwegian first name? That's very interesting. So each main character's first name comes from a different country:

Jérémie: France
Odd: Norway
Ulrich: Germany
Yumi: Japan

And I forgot Aelita of course, which is Russian (at least comes from a Russian novel).

Message 29 Nov 2005, 23:46

Is it different when in English?????

I know that they live in a boarding school in France. But in one episode, they mention getting exchange students from France. So when it's translated, is it suddenly in America? Another episode, Sissi talks about Aelita going back North, to Canada. Is Canada north from France? I don't even know where France is on a map! Pathetic, I know. But Canada is directly north o America. I should know. Luckily, I do know how to locate my own country on a map. Meaning America. I'm American. Yeah. Just a question.

Message 30 Nov 2005, 00:03

Maître des énigmes

Message 30 Nov 2005, 00:17

Re: Is it different when in English?????

Hayze a écrit:But in one episode, they mention getting exchange students from France. So when it's translated, is it suddenly in America?

Yes. it means the english translation is not literal. They do as if Code Lyoko takes place in the USA :)

In french, they mention getting exchange students from England.

Another episode, Sissi talks about Aelita going back North, to Canada.

In French, Sissi talks about Aelita going back home, to Canada.

I don't even know where France is on a map! Pathetic, I know.

Very pathetic, :roll: . Look here. I painted France in red. (sorry for this ugly map)

exo

Virtualisé

Message 30 Nov 2005, 00:53

That's why I don't like the dub. Why not register Mista Hayze?

Démolisseur de Mégatanks

Message 30 Nov 2005, 03:52

I don't think the dub is bad, just that one part where Milly says something like "What do you think about having an exchange with France?" As if the Euros they're always flipping aren't evidence enough!

Message 30 Nov 2005, 05:48

-
Hey! As dubs on anime, etc., go, the Englsih dub on CL is aaaaaaxcellent! The voices are great and the script is fine -- some say even better than the French script.
-
I consider the action undeniably located in France, and I just ignore any inconsistencies in that respect.
-
As for not knowing where France is, eeek! Image Now we have to kill Olivier and Pete because they read that....
-

Chasseur de Frolions

Message 30 Nov 2005, 06:29

The dub is good, but I'm not really happy that they seem to Anglofiing it. It's not the first show to have that happen. I thought the continuity would be getting better in Season two,,, it isn't. Still a great show, I just ignore those little changes too ;)

Message 08 Fév 2006, 10:04

stephen42 a écrit:coup de gueule: pas pu voir le 51 et 52 hier et avant-hier...
coup de coeur: maigre consolation -> jles ai vu en anglais mais ca me suffit pas... :p ....

Hé, S-42!
-
Tell us already! Since you see some CL episodes in both languages (no, Kagetsu, NOT Swahili and Sanskrit....), what is your opinion of how exactly the two paroles agree for any particular episode? Are they saying pretty much the same things in both, or do they differ significantly? Rumor has it that there are extra jokes in the English version that aren't in the French, but there's no way I am ever going to be able to detect them.
What do you think about this, O Bilingual One? Image
-

Futur Lyokofan

Message 08 Fév 2006, 11:08

hey... I think they say the same things even if jokes are sometimes differents...

(I'm not bilingual, that's why I make some mistakes... but I do my best, that's all... ;) )

Maître des énigmes

Message 08 Fév 2006, 23:09

Chauve-Souris a écrit:Rumor has it that there are extra jokes in the English version that aren't in the French, but there's no way I am ever going to be able to detect them.

It's possible. Some french jokes are impossible to translate in english. So, the translators coud have put extra jokes in the english version to compensate.

Chasseur de Frolions

Message 08 Fév 2006, 23:57

Chauve-Souris a écrit:(no, Kagetsu, NOT Swahili and Sanskrit....),
-

:D I'm not certian, but I think that's a comment on my "somewhat twisted" humour.

Message 09 Fév 2006, 05:16

-
Thanks, Guys. I have no doubt you are right. I'm just somewhat preoccupied (obsessed?) with this subject because I constantly marvel at how well the English soundtrack "dubbing" in CL matches the visual activity.
-
Any other foreign-language films that I have watched that have English dubbing make the viewer uncomfortable from time to time because the lip-action doesn't always match the sound. It's mostly because lips are moving with NO talk, or not moving when there IS talk. And it's so distracting that it pulls you right out of the story when it happens.
-
If you look at multi-language instruction sheets that come with products, you see that if there is one page of English instructions, there will be a page and a half of French instructions (and about twelve pages of Spanish :roll: ) to say exactly the same things. And conversation must be assumed to differ in a similar way.
-
Image Anyhoo, my point is that I almost NEVER notice anything like this with CL. The speech always matches the lips very convincingly, and the sound-effects are synchronized very well too. Just one more example of the superb care that is being put into the production of CL. (But I get curious at times how they manage to do it so well....)
-

Maître des énigmes

Message 13 Fév 2006, 00:42

There is a problem with Odd voice : it's shrill in the french version ; but deep in the english one.

Accro à Code Lyoko

Message 16 Fév 2006, 18:47

As many have noticed Odd's symbol on his Lyoko uniform is Kiwi peeing.

In the episode Seeing Is Believing Odd draws a picture that would clearly be Kiwi peeing on a rock.

My question for the French . . Are Pee jokes very popular in France?
In the US I think Fart jokes tend to be more popular than Pee jokes.
PrécédenteSuivante

Retourner vers Talking about Code Lyoko