International Relations / Relations Internationales

Let us speak about us, News, our best memories...

Futur Lyokophile

Message 27 Sep 2007, 09:42

International Relations / Relations Internationales

In the hope of fostering better international relations, which admittedly the USA has done very poorly as of late, I would like this thread to be an opportunity for posters here from various countries to talk and ask questions and get to know others. To start off, I live in the state of California in the United States, and I'd love to talk politics with someone from France.
Code Lyoko CCG
http://yumi2004.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5764
Testers Wanted!

Maître des énigmes

Message 27 Sep 2007, 10:12

Re: International Relations / Relations Internationales

The Gee Man a écrit:I'd love to talk politics with someone from France.

I can do so. What do you know about the french political system ?

Futur Lyokophile

Message 28 Sep 2007, 01:20

Pete a écrit:I can do so. What do you know about the french political system ?

What do you think of your multi-party system? I can't imagine a system like that working in America, as we have some pretty fringe groups here, though I've heard that France has had problems with ultra-conservative elements in their system as well.
I'm really concerned about America's standing in the rest of the world right now, as the last 4 years have been our administration giving the rest of the U.N. the proverbial finger, so I'd like to give a blanket apology for our present administration's actions. I'll be able to vote in a little over 3 months, and I'm hoping that we can get one of the Democratic hopefulls, Barack Obama, elected.
Code Lyoko CCG
Testers Wanted!

Maître des énigmes

Message 29 Sep 2007, 00:18

The Gee Man a écrit:I can't imagine a system like that working in America, as we have some pretty fringe groups here,

In France too^^

though I've heard that France has had problems with ultra-conservative elements in their system as well.

Yes, in 2002, but now, they have rolled back.

I'm really concerned about America's standing in the rest of the world right now, as the last 4 years have been our administration giving the rest of the U.N. the proverbial finger, so I'd like to give a blanket apology for our present administration's actions.

You are not personally responsible, especially since you were not a voter ;)

Futur Lyokophile

Message 29 Sep 2007, 22:11

What are the big issues in France today? We over here never hear much about what's going on in Europe, but I try to watch the BBC when I can. I'd also be interested to know what kind of politician Sarkozy is. I know he's technically a conservative by French standards, but I haven't hearch much else, and it's more interesting ot hear it from a citizen.
Code Lyoko CCG
Testers Wanted!

Grand Maître du lancer d'éventail

Message 29 Sep 2007, 22:34

The Gee Man a écrit:What are the big issues in France today?

I'd say budget deficits... But I let Pete give a more complete answer ;)

Maître des énigmes

Message 29 Sep 2007, 23:15

The Gee Man a écrit:What are the big issues in France today?

"It's the economy, stupid", as Clinton said in 1992. Since few weeks, french medias speek about how incrasing economic growth, incrasing wages and labor time, reforms of the pension system, and stupidities about the European Central Bank (the favourite scapegoat of Sarkozy)... Things like that.
There also are problems with Iran, but you heard about that^^

I'd also be interested to know what kind of politician Sarkozy is. I know he's technically a conservative by French standards, but I haven't hearch much else, and it's more interesting ot hear it from a citizen.

I'm not a big fan of Sarkozy. You should ask someone who like him more ;)
Sarkozy gets better with the Americans than Chirac, the former president, which is a good thing, according to me. His program is : less taxes, less rules ; "to work more for higher wages", a more restrictive migration policy ; zero tolerance for crime ; more investments in universities and public research... etc. He is a very good speaker.
Dernière édition par Pete le 30 Sep 2007, 10:51, édité 1 fois.

Futur Lyokophile

Message 30 Sep 2007, 10:37

Pete a écrit:"It's the economy, stupid", as Clinton said in 1992. Since few weeks, french medias speek about how incrasing economic growth, incrasing wages and labor time, reforms of the pension system, and stupidities about the European Central Bank (the favourite scapegoat of Sarkozy)... Things like that.
There also are problems with Iran, but you heard about that^^

I wish we could go back to talking about the economy (ironic, since the Euro is more valuable than the dollar). Right now, the big issue seems to be immigration, and it really saddens me that we have such levels of xenophobia in our country. Especially with what's happening in Burma, I really wish the U.S. could help.
Pete a écrit:I'm not a big fan of Sarkozy. You should ask someone who like him more ;)
Sarkozy gets better with the Americans than Chirac, the former president, which is a good thing, according to me. His program is : less taxes, less rules ; "to work more for higher wages", a more restrictive migration policy ; zero tolerance for crime ; more investments in universities and public research... etc. He is a very good speaker.

Well, for a conservative, he sounds pretty reasonable. It sounds like he'll work with the United States, not just be Bush's lapdog like Blair.
My presidential hopeful is Barack Obama, and his main points are getting out of Iraq cleanly and quickly, poverty, nation-wide free healthcare, and the environment. Lucklily, the Republican/Conservative nominees are a pretty sad bunch, so he has a pretty good chance.
Code Lyoko CCG
Testers Wanted!

Démolisseur de Mégatanks

Message 30 Sep 2007, 13:59

His program is : less taxes, less rules

Not excatly less taxes.
Patients will have to pay few cents for each limp (i hope it is the right word) of drug, within the limit of 50€ per year (for the moment), to finance social protection.
Then, Sarkozy plans to increase VAT in compensation of the decrease of the cost of work (is it the right expression?), without impose on the companies to lower their prices net of tax in the same proportions (for the moment my english not allows me to say more accuratly the things ^-^ )

Just for information, Germany have an higher cost of work than in France, but they are more competitive.
Sarkozy seems to want transfer the cost of work from compagnies and workers to consumers. Is it judicious and egalitarian? That is the question.

Without consideration of my feeling about Sarkozy, there is two questions and an advice I think every one (whatever the political side) should have in mind :

-Who will profit the reform?
-Who will pay for it?
-Never, never believe on word that could say a politician. Always ask (and search) the two questions above.

I know, not easy to answer by ourselves ^-^

Of course we need reform. We need to make efforts to solve the problems. The Sarkozy's reform will probably give a boost to french compagnies and economy, but it seems to me that only a little part of the population will benefit the effects of the reform whereas the majority of people will pay.

Of course, I can be mistaken. And I will be very happy if I'm wrong about Sarkozy's politic. I'm trying to be open-mind, but I'm very dubitative.
And I find him too admirative of the Bush's politic to trust in his intentions. I don't think that the Bush's politic is an exemple to follow.

P.S : Sorry for my bad english. I would like to say more accuratly my opinion, but I dont speak (and write) english currently.

Maître des énigmes

Message 30 Sep 2007, 15:39

Eridan a écrit:Not excatly less taxes.

Globally, yes.. 5 or 10 points of GDP less, it is a decline of taxation (but it was only a promise of campaign, i guess).

Sarkozy plans to increase VAT in compensation of the decrease of the cost of work

More exactly :in compensation of the decrease of taxes on wages.

(is it the right expression?)

Cout du travail : labor costs.

Just for information, Germany have an higher cost of work than in France, but they are more competitive.

The concept of competitiveness about a country means nothing.
http://www.pkarchive.org/global/pop.html

Démolisseur de Mégatanks

Message 30 Sep 2007, 15:46

Ok, i used the wrong term. Their foreign trade make more benefits than in France with a labor cost higher and the same value of euro.

Maître des énigmes

Message 30 Sep 2007, 15:59

Eridan a écrit:Their foreign trade make more benefits

Do you hint at the concept of "terms of trade" ? There is no difference between France and Germany.

Démolisseur de Mégatanks

Message 30 Sep 2007, 16:54

I think we don't speak about the same things :

Germany : +156 M€ thanks to exportations since January 2007
France : -20M€

Of course there is some differences that explain this différence. For example, Germany produce mainly goods (ahem, don't know if is the exact word ^^) that are needed in country like china or in eastern Europe.
Even workers do some sacrifice to control wage cost. But it is still higher than in France.

Message 30 Sep 2007, 17:16

Eridan a écrit:+156 M€

I think it should read in American English:

+ €156 B

(billion = milliard)

Just my 2 euro-cents ;)

Démolisseur de Mégatanks

Message 30 Sep 2007, 17:21

You're right ^^ I didn't think to this détail

Maître des énigmes

Message 30 Sep 2007, 17:34

Eridan a écrit:I think we don't speak about the same things :

Germany : +156 M€ thanks to exportations since January 2007
France : -20M€

Of course there is some differences that explain this différence. For example, Germany produce mainly goods (ahem, don't know if is the exact word ^^) that are needed in country like china or in eastern Europe.
Even workers do some sacrifice to control wage cost. But it is still higher than in France.

Yes... The commercial balance, i suspected it. I'm going to surprise you, but where is the problem ? (I suggest we continue this chat in the appropriate topic)

Maître des énigmes

Message 30 Sep 2007, 22:07

The Gee Man a écrit:My presidential hopeful is Barack Obama, and his main points are getting out of Iraq cleanly and quickly, poverty, nation-wide free healthcare, and the environment. Lucklily, the Republican/Conservative nominees are a pretty sad bunch, so he has a pretty good chance.

Obama seems to be a good candidate. Nation-wide free healthcare is at the same time cheaper anf fairer than the current system ; it's urgent that the United States set up it...
What Obama wish to do about environment ?

Futur Lyokophile

Message 30 Sep 2007, 22:47

Pete a écrit:Obama seems to be a good candidate. Nation-wide free healthcare is at the same time cheaper anf fairer than the current system ; it's urgent that the United States set up it...
What Obama wish to do about environment ?

Generally everything Bush hasn't done: Reduction of fossil fuel use and emissions, moving to clean energy (ie non-coal powered plants), getting rid of dependance on foreign oil, and other things like conserving forests and water supplies, especially here on the West Coast where it's starting to become a problem.
On another note, I recently watched the French documentary Chagrin et la pitié (The Sorrow and the Pity in English), which I found to be absolutely moving, as it had interviews with people on every side during the occupation of '40-'44. I'd be interested in what people from France thought of this film. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Chagrin ... piti%C3%A9
Code Lyoko CCG
Testers Wanted!

Message 30 Sep 2007, 23:13

I didn't watch it but I'm a bit surprised; where did you see it? On a History channel?

The Gee Man a écrit:I'd be interested in what people from France thought of this film

Well, nowadays I don't know, but according to the link you gave, the film has been censored on TV for more than 10 years...

Futur Lyokophile

Message 30 Sep 2007, 23:26

Olivier a écrit:I didn't watch it but I'm a bit surprised; where did you see it? On a History channel?

It was recommended to me by my sociology teacher. We were discussing the history of Vietnam, especially during the French and later Japanese occupations, and then about the whole mess in the 70's. I rented it online over here on DVD. If you are interested, I highly recommend it, but it's a pretty long film, somewhere over 4 hours.
Olivier a écrit:Well, nowadays I don't know, but according to the link you gave, the film has been censored on TV for more than 10 years...

It's not exactly flattering, but it's no anti-French film either by any stretch. They interview people that were involved in the Resistance, and they interview people who joined the French SS division, as well as people who were caught in the middle. It's certainly given me a better perspective on the conflict.
Code Lyoko CCG
Testers Wanted!

Futur Lyokophile

Message 01 Oct 2007, 07:56

I digress from our original topic, but here is a clip from the movie, and it's a particularly interesting point in the film: http://youtube.com/watch?v=QhA2gA2hcrs The man being interviewed was one who joined the French SS soldiers, and he explains how he got involved in the whole mess. As Pete suggested, I'll make another thread later for this movie.
Another political point of interest of mine is the relationship between the various EU nations. What kinds of issues come up between countries in Europe, and what of countries like the Balkans? Over here, many of our conservative elements in the country are upset over the numbers of immigrants from Mexico, who are fleeing the corrupt government and poverty in that nation. I know that France had some recent serious trouble with a similar situation, what do you all have to say about that?
I also recently finished reading the classic book Candide by Voltaire. I found it to be both humorous and quite relevant in today's world.
Code Lyoko CCG
Testers Wanted!

Maître des énigmes

Message 05 Oct 2007, 01:39

The Gee Man a écrit:Over here, many of our conservative elements in the country are upset over the numbers of immigrants from Mexico, who are fleeing the corrupt government and poverty in that nation. I know that France had some recent serious trouble with a similar situation, what do you all have to say about that?

It's exactly the same, about immigrants from north Africa or west Africa (former french colonies).

What kinds of issues come up between countries in Europe

In the European Union :
- The major issues at the moment is the new and light version of the "Treaty establishing a Constitution for Europe" (not a really constitution, actually, it's a bit weird).
- Bulgaria and Rumania are new members the Union (since january).
- Then there are international issues : Iran, Birmania, Darfur...
- And of course Sarkozy's attacks against the ECB, what irritates the members of the eurogroup (ie countries using euro).

Futur Lyokophile

Message 06 Oct 2007, 10:23

Pete a écrit:- The major issues at the moment is the new and light version of the "Treaty establishing a Constitution for Europe" (not a really constitution, actually, it's a bit weird).
- Bulgaria and Rumania are new members the Union (since january).
- Then there are international issues : Iran, Birmania, Darfur...
- And of course Sarkozy's attacks against the ECB, what irritates the members of the eurogroup (ie countries using euro).

The situation in Burma is only going ot get worse, I'm afraid. Our school has been praying almost daily for the monks, and with the recent video leaked out of the country, they are already starting to kill Buddhist monks. I really wish the U.S. could do more about it, but most of our military is tied up in Iraq and Afganistan. Hopefully this situation won't become another East Timor.
Code Lyoko CCG
Testers Wanted!

Retourner vers Between us