Japanese influences

Come here to speak about all what you think about Code lyko.

Maître des énigmes

Message 19 Mai 2006, 10:07

Japanese influences

I'm sorry but I haven't found an adequate topic to post my message about "Lyoko" meaning.
There is a topic on the french side about japanese inspiration/influence in Code Lyoko :

http://yumi2004.celeonet.fr/forum/viewt ... 36&start=0

garooob a écrit:I wonder if they got the name Lyoko from Yoko Tsuno? (L + Yoko = Lyoko?)

Lyoko comes from the japanese word ryokô (pronounce Lyoko) which means "trip".

Lyokophile à vie

Message 19 Mai 2006, 19:36

I never thought of that. I asked garooob if Lyoko meant anything in Japanese...Their costumes and such all have Japanese influences, too. Yumi and Ulrich's weapons as well...
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams."

Maître des énigmes

Message 19 Mai 2006, 23:57

ryokô can be writed "ryokou" as well, like on this japanese website :

http://www.ryokou.jp/

Indeed, Yumi and Ulrich on Lyoko are japanese styled. And there is a manga influence on the 2D pictures : large eyes, pointed chin… The first time I watched Code Lyoko, I believed it was a franco-japanese coproduction...

Démolisseur de Mégatanks

Message 21 Mai 2006, 02:34

Don't forget that, at least in season 1, Yumi has a giant stuffed Totoro in her room! In season 2, it's replaced by something else.

exo

Virtualisé

Message 21 Mai 2006, 05:09

Log book there was an anime action sketch.
"Every epoch dreams its successor." - Jules Michelet

Chasseur de Frolions

Message 21 Mai 2006, 23:12

exo a écrit:Log book there was an anime action sketch.

There was?

I had always thought Yumi and the Samurai outfits they have on Lyoko was because Japan was a target market. It's not even shown there as far as I know. So I have no idea why it was added. Except for Xiaolin Showdown, I can't think of a single show that has an Asian character outside of anime, and even that's kinda of ify. I like that the show even holds through to the point that her family culture is seen. Somebody wanted this to stand out,,, but why. It's one of the many little things that this show seems to hide that no article ever talks about.

A strange thing, Ulrich uses a katana on Lyoko and trains with Yumi in the "real". Yet his style is pentac silat, unheard of for the most part here in the US.

The term lyoko is most likely pulled out of brain storming. But how they got there from Xanadu, I have no idea.

-ko to me is a Japanese girls name. Meaning "daughter of" whatever is in front. They made some big changes from GarageKids to CodeLyoko without any reason why. I've always wante to find out but no one ever wrote back. And I sent alot of email in several languages (or at least an attempt) I always thought somewhere I would hit an address that cared we were interested in their creativness. I was wrong. :?
Dernière édition par kagetsu le 21 Mai 2006, 23:45, édité 1 fois.

Lyokofan

Message 21 Mai 2006, 23:39

What attracted me to this show originally was I thought it was an anime show (I used to be one of the Sysops on the Compuserve Comics and Anime forum since the mid-90s). I was very surprised to find it and "Totally Spies" were both created in France.

Although, considering how popular Japanese things are in France, I shouldn't have been surprised. The French Kendo Federation is quite powerful and they had some very strong players at the 2003 World Championships in Glasgow, Scotland.

There's little question that anime had a huge influence on the creators of the show.

Batman + Kiwi = Chauve - Souris

Localisation: Le Arizona ou le désert de Lyoko: Ils sont pareils.

Message 22 Mai 2006, 06:32

kagetsu a écrit:-ko to me is a Japanese girls name....

Like "Kimiko", hein? And the revered Yoko Tsuno! Cool....Image
-

Retourner vers Talking about Code Lyoko