Blah-blah of the Anglophones

Let us speak about us, News, our best memories...

Grand Maître du lancer d'éventail

Message 15 Juil 2005, 19:10

Tueur de Blocks

Message 15 Juil 2005, 20:45

Thank you olivier :D I downloaded it . I'll use it to change my signature :)

Batman + Kiwi = Chauve - Souris

Localisation: Le Arizona ou le désert de Lyoko: Ils sont pareils.

Message 16 Juil 2005, 00:11

-
Here're #3 and #4 together. I'm not going to put them in my signature, as I started to do, but will save them for future avatars.
-
Image****Image
-
Now I want to animate my signature-pub for Louna's forum, but I haven't had any "artistic inspirations" yet (erf, erf).
-

Message 16 Juil 2005, 00:25

Olivier a écrit:This one is free:.

NOW he tells us! NOW he tells us! :sm23:
-
Naw, all seriousness aside, I am so happy with ULead that I don't regret having put out the coins for it. (Manson: it's not shareware -- it's outright commercial software.)
-
Oliv: Your help with Odd's dirty cheekbone really did a lot of good. You knocked the whole subject of layers and invisibility into place in my tiny brain, so I really have a good grasp of that part of it now. And I have succeeded in getting another forum to accept a 27 Ko avatar with that "Lier l'avatar..." feature. A thousand remercies, at least.... :salute:
-

Tueur de Blocks

Message 16 Juil 2005, 01:37

chauve-souris a écrit:NOW he tells us! NOW he tells us!

don't have any regret, I read on internet that yours was the best of all !
And you're right, it isn't a shareware ... :oops:

the new avatar with yumi and jeremy is very intersting and funny (the movment of yumi who is looking at jeremy flying :D lol ) the program allow you to create good things very steadily !!
it looks like if you were a professioanl ;)
And don't worry about your artistic inspiration, all the artists have this problem sooner or later :thumbup: :D

Message 16 Juil 2005, 08:34

manson a écrit:...the program allow you to create good things very steadily !!

I must admit that that is straight footage out of Garage Kids. It should have been easy, but I couldn't figure out if GIF-A can CROP things. I wanted to get it down to 120 x 120, but NOT by compressing it. I wanted to just pick out the part of the area that I wanted. So I had to do it frame-by-frame in MS Paint before loading it into GIF-A. Tedious, but successful.
-
Getting back to software, one of the sweeties in Louna's forum has introduced me to Photofiltre. Just what I've been looking for -- smarter than MS Paint but not a big, complicated, multi-layer mess. And it's FREEware! If you don't know about it already, you might want to take a look at it: http://photofiltre.free.fr/download_en.htm
-
I hope the knowledgeable Olivier will give us an opinion of it.... ;)
-
(Someone please tell me: Is the word "crop" used in français for cutting out unwanted edges of a picture, or is there a better word? Merci!)
-

Message 16 Juil 2005, 08:45

-
Oooops, never mind! Hachette says it's "rogner", to trim. Neat-o....
-

Message 16 Juil 2005, 17:08

Chauve-Souris a écrit:NOW he tells us!

Well, I must confess I didn't know this version before, I found it with Google ;-) I did know the Ulead version, though.

Chauve-Souris a écrit:I hope the knowledgeable Olivier will give us an opinion of it

The knowledgeable Olivier didn't know PhotoFiltre ;-) I tried it and it seems to be nice indeed. The 2 free graphics editors I was aware of are:

The Gimp
Pixia

Chauve-Souris a écrit:Is the word "crop" used in français
Hachette says it's "rogner"

It's the correct translation indeed, but the anglicism "cropper" is also used sometimes (here for instance).

Tueur de Blocks

Message 16 Juil 2005, 17:32

I'll take a look at all these programs but before I must find beautiful gif , and for the moment i don't have enough time, i begin working the day after tomorrow :D !

and about the translation , I personally say " rogner " but if some people use cropper ... Why not ?

Message 17 Juil 2005, 02:08

Olivier a écrit:It's the correct translation indeed, but the anglicism "cropper" is also used sometimes

Great! I think I will go with "cropper" because it is more specific to photograph editing. Your example was doubly interesting because it applies to Photofiltre.
-
(Incidentally, in the USA the expression "He came a cropper" means the person met with disaster, or at least utter failure.)
-
Incidentally #2: Before finding Photofiltre, I had actually bought ($$$!) some graphics programs over the years, but never liked any of them. The most recent was Serif PhotoPlus 8, WHICH CAN'T EVEN QUICK-DRAW A RECTANGLE OR CIRCLE THAT IS NOT FILLED! What the heck good is that? Sheesh!
-
But I have great hopes for Photofiltre... so far....
-
Manson: what kind of job are you starting? Philosopher? Assistant surgeon? Disc jockey? What, then?...
-

Tueur de Blocks

Message 17 Juil 2005, 14:08

chauve-souris a écrit:Manson: what kind of job are you starting? Philosopher? Assistant surgeon? Disc jockey? What, then?...

Lol i'll work for a ... farmer in order to pay my studies the next year :D
It's underpaid cause i'm not eighteen but I didn' find an other job .

Message 18 Juil 2005, 05:34

-
Cool! At least by the end of the summer you will have huge muscles like Arn Schwartzenegger.
-
Don't forget to wear good sunglasses out there in the fields. All that ultraviolet sunlight can catch up to you in later years. :glasses7:
-
Enjoy!
-

Tueur de Blocks

Message 18 Juil 2005, 20:12

Cool! At least by the end of the summer you will have huge muscles like Arn Schwartzenegger

lol i don't think so !
firstly : i don't work all the summer but only when farmers need me :cry: i'm a kind of slave :( , bondage isn't abolished !
and secondly : after my first day, i don't have huge muscle ... but my arms are fool of cuts :D cause of leafs :(:(:(

and don't worry about the sun, the sweetcornes are tall and they protect me :D And when i'm tired, i can hide myself sitting in the middle of the plantation . ;)

Message 19 Juil 2005, 03:12

-
I'm sure you won't agree, because you will be tired of them, but I just love cornfields. Beautiful, tall plants and interesting ears of grain. Cornfields smell nice, and even SOUND great, when there's a breeze blowing.
-
And I don't mind eating the ears, either! Yum!
-
It looks like you are picking the corn, and for human consumption. If it were for animal feed, I assume it would be harvested by machine. One summer long ago I drove trucks beside the corn harvesters until full and then drove the truck to trench-silage pits and dumped it. The big thrill was that when dumping into the trenches, sometimes the weight transfer in the truck would lift the front wheels of the truck right off the ground, and it would feel as though you were going to roll into the trench. But the load always began to slide out in time, and let the truck come back down on its wheels. That was in western Oklahoma, the "panhandle".
-
So, that's my entire life's story, erf, erf....
-

Démolisseur de Mégatanks

Message 19 Juil 2005, 09:00

CS, those are some cool avatars! I like 'em, especially the one where Yumi is levitating Jérémie! Maybe we'll get to see more of that in season 2!

I've never worked on a farm, but I had some tough summer jobs. I worked for the Salvation Army loading boxes full of people's junk and as a janitor cleaning an elementry school. At the same time! I worked 10 hours a day, 6 days a week... I wasn't buff like Arnold, but I was pretty trim!

When I was 3, my family lived in a small town in New York across from some corn fields. There were always deer in them at night and sometimes me and my dad would walk through the fields to get to town.

Tueur de Blocks

Message 20 Juil 2005, 16:48

another day in the plantation :( i'm tired and i tanned :D )
Yes i understand you when you say you like corn fields .... But chauve souris you're right , I don't agree :evil: This night , It was pouring down , so this morning ! it was horible ! We were frozen !
Nevertheless, I'm proud of my good results ! The farmer had to choose twelve people , we were fourty so he only chose the fastest :D And he chose me !! the others stop working today , and i personally carry on !
:D:D

garooob a écrit:I worked 10 hours a day, 6 days a week

:shock: :shock:
Wa ! And i said i was tired ! You must earn lots of money :D :D $$ :D :D

Message 21 Juil 2005, 03:58

manson a écrit:...the others stop working today , and i personally carry on !

Yay, Mans! What a picker! Keep up the good work!
-
Geez, you were freezing, and Garooob and I are being cooked! And the Weather Department must be heat crazy -- their report today said that the day's HIGH was 101, and the CURRENT (19:00) temperature was 102! THAT doesn't happen often, nyuk, nyuk.
-
Rooobs, what small town were you living in -- the Bronx? (arf?) But, seriously, tell us what town you grew up in in Nuevo York state!
-

Démolisseur de Mégatanks

Message 22 Juil 2005, 03:25

Wa ! And i said i was tired ! You must earn lots of money

I made $5.35/hour at one job and $8.01/hour at the other, so kinda. It seemed like a lot when I was 18!

Rooobs, what small town were you living in -- the Bronx? (arf?) But, seriously, tell us what town you grew up in in Nuevo York state!

That town I mentioned was Hurley, NY. It's about halfway between NYC and Albany on the west side of the Hudson River. I only lived there for a year and it was when I was 3. "Town" was about 3 stores and a church. There were a lot of old stone houses from like the 1700s in town!

Message 22 Juil 2005, 09:43

-
Say, the world's greatest obsolete-gun parts company is in West Hurley. I get stuff from there for my antique gun restorations all the time.
-
I assume it's safe to say that Hurley is just east of there (erf!)
-

Message 22 Juil 2005, 10:13

-
MISCELLANEOUS:
-
Where the heck is LeDix? Did he say what he was up to? I miss his cheery contributions (sniff). I hope he knows that there is a new Jimmy Neutron 'special' on Saturday, which includes a reappearance of "Beautiful Gorgeous" in some sort of wedding situation with Jimmy's macho secret agent friend, Jet Fusion.
-
Olivier was correct (as always), and the third choice of ways to enter one's avatar in yumi2004 ("Lier" something-or-other) does NOT hold one to the 10 Ko limit. I just entered an update of my Kiwi/scooter avatar, at 17 Ko, and it took just fine (obviously). So, Garooob, our lament about the 10 Ko limit does not apply, assuming one doesn't mind getting Image Shack or the like involved.
-
Rooobs: thanks for the animation compliments. Soon I am going to try the levitation one that you like, and that's a monster (over 100 Ko), so we shall see....
-

Message 25 Juil 2005, 04:16

Olivier a écrit:Installe GIMP !

Oliv: Say, this GIMP thing is très cool! I ran into some walls with Photofiltre, so I gave GIMP a try, and it's VERY impressive. And I'm having no trouble with it at all. The installation was extremely smooth too. There are some really, really competent guys involved with this.
And an added advantage is that it can handle .PSD format, so it can exchange files with GIF Animator without losing the layers and stuff. I'm in "hog-heaven" and, while people must be sick of my saying this, Olivier has done it again!
-
Manson: Its free(!), so forget Photofiltre and do a GIMP! It involves nearly 25 Mo of downloading (including helpfiles) but it's worth it! I managed to download it with my rude-and-crude dial-up, but it helped that I was able to use a mirror site in Phoenix (thanks, Garooob (arf?))
-
So, anyway, Olivier, since you refuse to "inscrit", here are four questions for you:
1: Country of residence?
2: Native language?
3: Still in school, or finished?
4: How you know all this stuff: computer-professional? rabid hobbyist? really the little brother of XANA? What?
-

Tueur de Blocks

Message 25 Juil 2005, 17:21

Chauve ( stupid nickname of your pseudo :? ) I will look for GIMP but for the moment i have some problems with my computer ... :(
And chauve souris , you are curious ! nearly nosy !! But I think I am as curious as you ! :twisted:
So .... What about you ? I don't know what are your hobbies , and what do you do in the life ( a job ? ) ! Have you any brothers or sisters ? What is your favorite course ? etc ....
As you can see , I'm nosier than you ... And the last question I said is totaly useless :|

Message 25 Juil 2005, 21:50

Chauve-Souris a écrit:this GIMP thing is très cool! it's VERY impressive.

GIMP is known to be the Photoshop-killer (even if many graphics artists continue to use Photoshop because they've been using it for so many years and habits are strong).

Chauve-Souris a écrit:I managed to download it with my rude-and-crude dial-up

Gosh, still using a low-speed Internet access? Desertic places are nice for the view, but not as nice for broadband access :|

Chauve-Souris a écrit:here are four questions for you

To answer them all at once: I'm a Parisian software developer ;-)

Message 26 Juil 2005, 04:03

Olivier a écrit:To answer them all at once: I'm a Parisian software developer ;-)

All four at once, indeed! Thanks.... 8)
-
The only thing now is how you developed your PERFECT anglais. I'll never get my français that excellent! :crybaby:
-

Message 26 Juil 2005, 04:35

loicb54 a écrit:...j'aimerai bien 'lacheter (Photoshop) mais punaise 1300€ pour un logiciel :| :shock: :?

Olivier a écrit:Installe GIMP !

loicb54 a écrit:plus habitué a toshop

Olivier a écrit:...(even if many graphics artists continue to use Photoshop because they've been using it for so many years and habits are strong).

I see what you mean. Tragic mistake! :sad2:
-
PrécédenteSuivante

Retourner vers Between us